Family Events for the Week of January 27, 2020
We have some fun ideas for your winter fun this week. Our top picks for Metro Detroit family events. Looking for some great places to visit this January? Check out our indoor play place suggestions in Oakland, Macomb, and Wayne counties. Gearing up for winter? Check out sledding hills in Metro Detroit, or outdoor ice skating pages.
$14 per child Grades K-8 / $6 pizza or BYOD
Register to bring your kids to The Robot Garage for a Kids-Night-Out and they will LOVE that you’re leaving them behind for a night to yourself. Our amazing staff will oversee informal LEGO and robotic activities . Students may pack dinner and a water bottle or sign up for Pizza for $6 per student.
Outdoor Adventure Center – Wonderful Winter Outdoor Activity – Detroit
January 04, 2020 – February 29, 2020
- Address: Outdoor Adventure Center, 1801 Atwater Street, Detroit, MI 48207
- Description: Join us outside at the OAC for a fun winter activity. From ice fishing and snowshoeing to snow Pictionary and sledding, these are all activities that can be enjoyed right outside our front door, and across the state. Our activities will be weather and condition-dependent. Check the OAC Facebook page for the most up-to-date information. Throw your winter gear in the car, just in case!
- This is a free outdoor event. Regular admission fees apply for building access.
Outdoor Adventure Center – Feb. 2 Archery: Try-It! – Detroit
Sunday, February 02, 2020 from 12:15-1:15pm
- Address: Outdoor Adventure Center, 1801 Atwater Street, Detroit, MI 48207
- Description: Two sessions: 12:15-12:45 p.m, 12:45-1:15 p.m. This is your opportunity to give archery a try. This 30-minute program is designed as a brief introduction to archery. Participants will learn to safely handle a bow and shoot several arrows. Participants must be 8 years of age or older. All equipment is provided. Preregistration is not available for this program. Limited to 12 participants per half-hour session. Participants must sign up onsite at the Outdoor Adventure Center on the day the program is offered. Sign-up will begin at noon and is on a first-come, first-served basis. Minors must have a parent or guardian sign a waiver before they participate.
- Included with the price of Outdoor Adventure Center admission.
Solar Panels- How Can They Benefit You? – Novi
Thursday, January 30, 2020 from 5:30-6:30pm
- Address: Novi Civic Center – 45175 W 10 Mile Rd, Novi, MI 48375
- Description: Solar our world. Join us for a talk to learn more about solar panels and how they can benefit the homeowner or business owner.
- Age: Any
- Price: Free
Puppet Show & Puppet Making – Roseville
Wednesday, January 29, 2020 from 4:30-5:30pm
- Address: Macomb Mall – 32233 Gratiot Ave, Roseville, MI 48066 – Dick’s Sporting Goods court
- Description: This interactive adventure in puppeteering will include a professional Puppeteer, a puppet show and children will get to perform and make their own puppet to take home (while supplies last).
Metro Parent Kids Hero Con – West Bloomfield
Saturday, February 1, 2020 from 11-3pm
- Address: Orchard Mall – 6445 Orchard Lake Rd, West Bloomfield Township, MI 48322
- Description: The Metro Parent Kids Hero Con is back for a third year of incredible characters and epic fun for children all around metro Detroit and Ann Arbor. Kids are welcome to dress up as their favorite superheroes or princesses and have their pictures taken with seven larger-than-life characters.
Glorious Groundhogs – Madison Heights
Sunday, February 2, 2020 from 2-3:30pm
- Address: Oakland County Parks and Recreation – Red Oaks Nature Center – 30300 Hales St. Madison Heights, MI 48071
- Description: Did you know that another name for a groundhog is a “whistle pig”? Learn the story behind Groundhog Day and its famous mascot, Punxsutawney Phil. Experience the life of a groundhog through a game and make a groundhog-themed craft and snack. $7/person. Preregistration with payment required. Call 248-858-0916 weekdays or Red Oaks Nature Center on Saturdays.
Lantern Hikes at Island Lake – Brighton
Saturday, February 1, 2020 from 6-9pm
- Address: Island Lake Recreation Area – 6301 Kensington Rd, Brighton, Michigan 48116
- Description: Island Lake Recreation Area will be hosting another year of lantern-lit hikes along part of the Hickory Ridge hiking trail, beginning in the first parking lot of the Kent Lake unit. Hike, snowshoe or ski as you follow the lanterns for one mile to a warming station, complete with a campfire and hot chocolate with the Friends of Island Lake State Recreation Area.
Winterfest – Milford
Saturday, February 1, 2020 from 2-4pm
- Address: Milford Central Park – 151 N Main St, Milford, Michigan 48381
- Description: Free Community Event! There will be ice skating, snowshoes, snow painting, a bonfire, s’mores, and more! Come join us on Saturday February 1st.
Free Winter Term Planetarium Shows – Detroit
Friday, January 31, 2020 from 7-8:15pm
- Address: Wayne State University Planetarium – 4841 Cass Ave, Detroit, Michigan 48201
- Description: Come join us under the dome for a planetarium show at Wayne State University! Located in room 0209 Old Main, we’ll do some hands on demonstrations, give you a live star talk about the current night sky and our favorite astronomical objects, and follow up with ‘Phantom of the Universe: The Search for Dark Matter’ – a full dome film about the search for this material that physicists believe makes up 27% of the universe, narrated by Tilda Swinton.
Huron Meadows Metropark XC Ski – Brighton
Sunday, February 2, 2020 from 10am-2pm
- Address: Huron Meadows Golf Course – 8765 Hammel Rd, Brighton, Michigan 48116
- Description: Join us for a cross country ski outing. Ski / boot rental available. Enjoy miles of groomed trails both on the golf course and through the woods. We will ski on shorter and longer distance trails depending on experience levels. We will hike if there is no snow.
- Optional lunch at a nearby restaurant after the outing.
- Cost: Metropark entry fee ($10/day or $35/yr), plus optional ski rental $15, plus optional use of the 1.5 mile Buck’s Run trail (which is groomed and has machine-made snow) $5.
15th Annual Downtown Mount Clemens Ice Carving Show – Mount Clemens
January 31 at 12 PM – Feb 2 at 3 PM
- Address: Downtown Mount Clemens – New St, Mount Clemens, Michigan 48043
- Description: It’s our largest show ever! Join us for the 15th annual Downtown Mount Clemens Ice Carving Show. This is a great opportunity for the entire family to spend time outdoors during the Michigan winter while enjoying this unique show with carving demonstrations throughout the event. Parking is FREE!
Sk8 to Elimin8 Cancer – Detroit
Thursday, January 30, 2020 from 5:30pm-8:30pm
- Address: Campus Martius Park – 800 Woodward Avenue, Detroit, Michigan 48226
- Description: A portion of the net proceeds from this event will stay local and support our Charity of Choice, the Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute.
Let’s Read Community Celebration of Helping Our Children Read – Detroit
Saturday, February 1, 2020 from Noon-2pm
- Address: Historic King Solomon Church – 6100 14th St, Detroit, MI 48208
- Description: Join Us! Attend an informative literacy meeting for all Detroit families to learn more about building solid reading skills for students in and out of the classroom, risks of being held back due to Michigan’s 3rd Grade Retention Law and becoming a Let’s Read Volunteer.
Shiver on the River 2020 – Detroit
Saturday, February 1, 2020 from 10am-3pm
- Address: Belle Isle Casino – 1 Casino Way, Detroit, Michigan 48207
- Description: Friends of the Detroit River is excited to announce our annual ecological family fair! Shiver on the River will have a variety of exhibits, displays, arts and crafts, and food trucks. Detroit Audubon will be doing a bird walk at 9 am, so be sure to get here early. We look forward to seeing you!