Family Events for the Week of January 13, 2020
We have some fun ideas for your winter fun this week. Our top picks for Metro Detroit family events. Looking for some great places to visit this January? Check out our indoor play place suggestions in Oakland, Macomb, and Wayne counties. Gearing up for winter? Check out sledding hills in Metro Detroit, or outdoor ice skating pages.
$14 per child Grades K-8 / $6 pizza or BYOD
Register to bring your kids to The Robot Garage for a Kids-Night-Out and they will LOVE that you’re leaving them behind for a night to yourself. Our amazing staff will oversee informal LEGO and robotic activities . Students may pack dinner and a water bottle or sign up for Pizza for $6 per student. Online registration open until the midnight before the event. To sign up day of the event, please call us in Birmingham at (248) 723-9100 or Rochester Hills at (248) 213-9960.
Outdoor Adventure Center – Archery: Try-It! – Detroit
Sunday, January 19, 2020 from 12:15-1:15pm
- Address: Outdoor Adventure Center, 1801 Atwater Street, Detroit, MI 48207
- Description: This is your opportunity to give archery a try. This 30-minute program is designed as a brief introduction to archery. Participants will learn to safely handle a bow and shoot several arrows. Participants must be 8 years of age or older. All equipment is provided. Preregistration is not available for this program. Limited to 12 participants per half-hour session. Participants must sign up onsite at the Outdoor Adventure Center on the day the program is offered. Sign-up will begin at noon and is on a first-come, first-served basis. Minors must have a parent or guardian sign a waiver before they participate.
- Included with the price of Outdoor Adventure Center admission.
Youth Abilities – Saturday Sports Special – Royal Oak
Saturday, January 18, 2020 from 9:30-11am
- Address: Jack & Patti Salter Club: 1545 East Lincoln, Royal Oak, MI 48067
- Description: Join us for Youth Abilities Saturday Sports Special! For youth with disabilities ages 6-18. Activities include parachute games, floor hockey, kickball, basketball and more. Registration is required, but there are no registration fees. Questions? Contact Sandy Dorey at email@example.com or 248-424-7077.
Life Under the Snow – Clarkston
Saturday, January 18, 2020 from 10-11:30am
- Address: Wint Nature Center: 9501 Sashabaw Road, Clarkston, MI 48348
- Description: With the arrival of winter our world can become covered in snow and ice. Some animals head south while others sleep the winter away, but how do the animals that stay active survive the winter months? Discover the adaptations that help these animals endure the cold and snowy season, then take a winter walk and enjoy a small snack. Suitable for all ages. $7/person. Preregistration with payment required. Call 248-858-0916 weekdays or Wint Nature Center (248-625-6473) on Saturdays.
Hoot-en-anny – Madison Heights
Saturday, January 18, 2020 from 4-6:30pm
- Address: Red Oaks Nature Center: 30300 Hales Street Madison Heights, MI 48071
- Description: Learn about owls through a presentation and dissection of an owl pellet. Make an owl mask to see through the eyes of an owl, then head outside for an owl hoot hike, calling for owls and observing creatures of the dusk. $10/person. Preregistration with payment required. Call 248-858-0916 weekdays or Red Oaks Nature Center on Saturdays.
Christmas Tree Recycling – one week left! – Oakland County
Sunday, January 19, 2020 from 9-4pm
- Address: 11 Oakland County Parks
- Description: From Dec. 26 to Jan. 26, trade your Christmas tree for a new tree! From 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. each day of the week, follow drop-off signs at Christmas tree recycling sites: Addison Oaks, Catalpa Oaks, Glen Oaks Golf Course, Groveland Oaks, Independence Oaks-North, Lyon Oaks (Park), Oakland County Farmers Market, Orion Oaks, Red Oaks Golf Course, Springfield Oaks (Park) and White Lake Oaks Golf Course. In return for recycling a Christmas tree, the Oakland Conservation District will distribute FREE white pine seedlings on Saturday, May 2, 2020, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., 1580 Scott Lake Road, Waterford. No charge to drop off trees, no commercial trees accepted, plastic, tinsel and wire must be removed.
Every Saturday and Sunday @ 12:00 pm – 4:00 pm through 1/26/2020
- Address: Kensington Metropark, Farm Center – Map Me
- Description: Winter has arrived with crisp air and (hopefully) a blanket of snow covering your favorite trails. Enjoy a horse-drawn hayride or sleigh ride (weather permitting) through the wooded trails around the Farm Center. Wheelchair lift available with advanced notice.
2020 Southeastern Michigan Polish Winter Celebration – Dearborn
Sunday, January 19, 2020 from 11-6pm
- Address: Ford Community & Performing Arts Center15801 Michigan Ave, Dearborn, Michigan 48126
- Description: As cold and wintry weather settles into metro Detroit, what better way could there be to warm your spirits (and your insides) than with delicious Polish food. Join us on Sunday, January 19, from 11 am to 6 pm, at the Ford Community and Performing Arts Center in Dearborn for the 2020 Southeastern Michigan Polish Winter Celebration. This one-day event will feature delicious food from multiple incredible Polish food vendors, performances by polka superstars The Polish Muslims and Polish born singer/songwriter Cara, cold Polish and domestic beer, a performance by the PRCUA Gwiazda Dancers, an expansive shopping bazaar, kids’ activities and more.
Community Care Project – South Lyon
Sunday, January 19, 2020 from 1:30-4:30pm
- Address: Salem-South Lyon District Library9800 Pontiac Trl, South Lyon, Michigan 48178
- Description: Back by popular demand is our loom knitting project for those in need. The library supplies all the materials and there is an instructor to teach you how to use the loom. It’s easy, it’s fun and it’s for a worthwhile cause. Come join us for a few hours, starting at 1:30 pm. No registration required.
Free Winter Term Planetarium Shows – Detroit
Friday, January 17, 2020 from 7-8:15pm or 8:30-9:45pm
- Address: Wayne State University Planetarium – 4841 Cass Ave, Detroit, Michigan 48201
- Description: Come join us under the dome for a planetarium show at Wayne State University! Located in room 0209 Old Main, we’ll do some hands on demonstrations, give you a live star talk about the current night sky and our favorite astronomical objects, and follow up with ‘Phantom of the Universe: The Search for Dark Matter’ – a full dome film about the search for this material that physicists believe makes up 27% of the universe, narrated by Tilda Swinton.
Lantern Hikes at Island Lake – Brighton
Saturday, January 18, 2020 from 6-9pm
- Address: Island Lake Recreation Area – 6301 Kensington Rd, Brighton, Michigan 48116
- Description: Island Lake Recreation Area will be hosting another year of lantern-lit hikes along part of the Hickory Ridge hiking trail, beginning in the first parking lot of the Kent Lake unit. Hike, snowshoe or ski as you follow the lanterns for one mile to a warming station, complete with a campfire and hot chocolate with the Friends of Island Lake State Recreation Area.
- A Recreation Passport is required for entry into the park. For more information, contact us here or call park headquarters at (810) 229-7067.
Hockeytown Winterfest – Detroit
Sunday, January 19, 2020 from 11-4pm
- Address: Little Caesars Arena – 2645 Woodward Avenue, Detroit, Michigan 48201
- Description: Join us at Little Caesars Arena for the second annual Hockeytown Winterfest, presented by Coca-Cola and Meijer, to enjoy family fun and exciting indoor/outdoor activities in a unique setting. The Hockeytown Winterfest is free, open to the public and accessible for fans of all ages.
Fire & Ice Festival – Rochester
January 17-19, 2020
- Address: Downtown Rochester, Michigan
- Description: Oakland County, Oakland County Parks and Recreation, the City of Rochester and Downtown Rochester come together to host the Fire & Ice Festival, a winter festival in Downtown Rochester.
Dexter Ice Festival – Dexter
Saturday, January 18, 2020 from 11-5pm
- Address: Monument Park – 8031 Main St, Dexter, Michigan 48130
- Description: Dexter Area Chamber of Commerce is bringing back the ice festival to downtown Dexter! Join us for “Dexter Ice Fest” January 18th in the heart of Dexter from 11-5pm. LIVE ice demos from local business sponsors, enjoy a cocoa station, game zone for the little ones, local specials, and so much more! Thank you to our Presenting Sponsor Aubree’s Pizzeria & Grill! To learn more about this event visit: dexterchamber.org or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tecumseh’s 11th Annual Ice Sculpture Festival – Tecumseh
January 18-19, 2020
- Address: Downtown Tecumseh
- Description: Tecumseh will be holding it’s 11th Annual Ice Sculpture Festival on Saturday January 18th from 10am-5pm and Sunday January 19th from 12pm-4pm. Saturday Activities: Ice Carving Demonstrations, Dueling Carver Competitions & Winter Warm-Up Beverage Walk. Sunday Activities: Chocolate Walk & Michigan Stilt Walker (Balloon Creations & Fire Juggling). Weekend Activities: Interactive Ice Sculptures, Make-It-Take-It Snowman Fun, Photos with Olaf & Lost Arts Demonstrations.