Family Events for the Week of December 16th, 2019
We have some fun ideas for your fall fun this week. Our top picks for Metro Detroit family events. Looking for some great places to visit this November? Check out our indoor play place suggestions in Oakland, Macomb, and Wayne counties. Gearing up for Christmas? Check out places to meet Santa, Tree Lighting Ceremonies or Meals with Santa.
$15 per participant ($10 for members)
Learn some advanced building techniques and go home with your own unique Lego Ornament. Work with our instructors to select pieces to customize your ornament design and then build step by step as a group. This event is for all ages, however as this is a complex build, we suggest children under 10 have an adult present to assist them.
Outdoor Adventure Center – Friday Night Archery – Detroit
Friday, December 20, 2019 from 6-8:00pm
- Address: Outdoor Adventure Center, 1801 Atwater Street, Detroit, MI 48207
- Description: Winter is coming, so be prepared with this “Game of Thrones”-themed archery program. Get ready to face dragons and direwolves! Who will win the tournament and be crowned to take their place on the Iron Throne? This program includes a hot cocoa bar to keep you warm for the long dark night. We recommend joining the fun at the start time. We may not be able to accommodate those who arrive more than 15 minutes into the activity. Must be 18 or older with a picture ID.
- Cost: $25
$24 per child Grades 1-9 / Members 10% discount / $6 pizza or BYOD
Come hang out and play Minecraft on our custom server. There will be both survival and creative areas to enjoy either with individual play or with friends. Get your own space on our server so your work will be saved for the future or play on our group server with other kids who attend this event. Play at your own level and explore all the aspects of a multi-player MineCraft experience within the safe controlled environment of The Robot Garage.
Outdoor Adventure Center – Nature Holiday Crafts – Detroit
Saturday, December 21, 2019 from 11-1:00pm
- Address: Outdoor Adventure Center, 1801 Atwater Street, Detroit, MI 48207
- Description: Make paper snowflakes and ornaments using natural materials. Take your creations home to decorate just in time for the holidays! All ages welcome. This is a drop-in event and may end earlier depending on the number of participants and amount of supplies.
- Cost: Included with the price of Outdoor Adventure Center admission.
Family Sensory Days – Royal Oak
Monday, December 16, 2019 from 2-8 PM
- Address: Bowlero Lanes & Lounge – 4209 Coolidge Highway, Royal Oak, MI 48073
- Description: Every 1st and 3rd Mondays in December, the bowling alley offers dimmed lighting, quieter music, and special amenities for an enriching and fun outing for the whole family. Staff who are sensitive to those with special needs. Weighted vests & noise-cancelling headphones, available free of charge.
- Cost: $20/hour/lane
Holiday Nights in Greenfield Village – Dearborn
December 16-28, 2019 from 6:30-10pm
- Address: The Henry Ford – 20900 Oakwood Blvd, Dearborn, Michigan 48124
- Description: Mingle with merrymakers amid the smells of roasting chestnuts and warming bonfires and the sounds of carolers, fiddlers, sleigh bells and bustling yuletide activity during Holiday Nights in Greenfield Village, presented by Citizens Bank. Every lantern-lit path leads you to discover a new winter wonder. Strap on a pair of ice skates, shout out to Santa and his magnificent reindeer, find your reflection in a handcrafted ornament and nestle into a horse-drawn wagon for a sing-along. Our 80 acres of living traditions etch America’s most heartwarming holiday experiences into your memories. Main Street brims with holiday goods, food and warm beverages. Historic home tours open the doors to centuries of favorite family traditions. From the finest tinseled detail to the fireworks-filled sky that marks each evening’s finale, make our holiday story a cherished part of your own.
Wild Lights – Detroit
December 19-23, 2019 from 5:30-10pm
- Address: Detroit Zoo – 8450 W 10 Mile Rd, Royal Oak, Michigan 48067
- Description: The Detroit Zoo will light up the night again this holiday season with Wild Lights, a spectacular light display. For 29 nights, more than five million LED lights will illuminate trees, buildings and more than 230 animal sculptures throughout the front half of the Zoo. Experience the magic of the Detroit Zoo in winter as you take in the lights and the sights and enjoy holiday entertainment and special activities for guests of all ages.
A Dickens Christmas – Lake Orion
Saturday, December 21, 2019 from 5-10pm
- Address: Kings Court Castle Restaurant & Banquet Center – 2325 Joslyn Rd, Lake Orion, Michigan 48360
- Description: Step into a storybook evening full of magic! Explore the village and interact with strolling Dickens characters & carolers, get some holiday shopping done, enjoy a delicious feast to a live band and then do some dancing afterwards or relax and watch A Christmas Carol. Plus, children can make a holiday craft. It will be a night to remember! Dinner is buffet style and includes: beef, chicken, pasta, potatoes, salad, roll, dessert and nonalcoholic beverage.
- Cost: $50 a ticket
Christmas Cookie Class – Plymouth
Monday, December 16, 2019 from 6:30-8:30pm
- Address: The Art Attic Plymouth – 607 S Main St, 2nd Floor, Plymouth, Michigan 48170
- Description: Join Rachel from The Cookie Board (formerly Detroit Dough) at The Art Attic on December 16th from 6:30-8:30 pm to learn how to create cute decorated Christmas cookies to share with your family and friends this Holiday. This is a hands-on beginner’s class so no previous experience is needed and all materials will be provided. During this class I will begin by explaining the steps to making cookie dough that doesn’t spread, royal icing that tastes good, my go-to ingredients, favorite supplies, and then I’ll walk you through how to outline, flood and decorate your cookies with all the tips and tricks I’ve learned over the years! Then, it’s time for you to get decorating. I’ll provide a step-by-step visual guide to decorating each of your cookies, and of course I will be there to help and answer all questions throughout!
- Class Cost: $65 per person
DIY Lighted Ceramic Christmas Tree – Milford
Tuesday, December 17, 2019 from 6-9pm
- Address: Home Sweet Tree – 335 S Houghton St, Milford, Michigan 48381
- Description: Join us for a fun night of creating your own Light Up Ceramic Christmas Tree! Ceramic Trees Lights are a fun décor piece you will look forward to putting out every year. Each tree is handmade right here at Home Sweet Tree! We pour the molds, hand drill each light hole, clean the greenware and fire each tree by hand. The 13″ ceramic trees are ready to paint with your own touch and style. Decorative accent lights, Star and Light Kit included. You will have the option to finish your tree with either Enamel Acrylic Paint or traditional Ceramic Glaze.
- Cost: Cost of workshop is $75 for Acrylic finish ( take home that night) or $95 for Ceramic Glaze Finish ( 2 week pickup time ) and includes everything above. A $50 reservation deposit is required to reserve your spot. The remaining balance is due the evening of the event.
Lantern Hikes at Island Lake – Brighton
Saturday, December 21, 2019 from 6-9pm
- Address: Island Lake Recreation Area6301 Kensington Rd, Brighton, Michigan 48116
- Description: Island Lake Recreation Area will be hosting another year of lantern-lit hikes along part of the Hickory Ridge hiking trail, beginning in the first parking lot of the Kent Lake unit. Hike, snowshoe or ski as you follow the lanterns for one mile to a warming station, complete with a campfire and hot chocolate with the Friends of Island Lake State Recreation Area. Please, refrain from using flashlights or headlamps unless required for safety. Your eyes will adjust and the moderate darkness makes for a better experience for all! It is no fun being blinded by oncoming lights.
- Cost: A Recreation Passport is required for entry into the park. For more information, contact us here or call park headquarters at (810) 229-7067.
It’s a Wonderful Life – Free Screening – Ann Arbor
Sunday, December 22, 2019 from 1:30-3:30pm
- Address: The Michigan Theater – 603 E Liberty St, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48104
- Description: George Bailey has so many problems he is thinking about ending it all – and it’s Christmas! As the angels discuss George, we see his life in flashback. As George is about to jump from a bridge, he ends up rescuing his guardian angel, Clarence – who then shows George what his town would have looked like if it hadn’t been for all his good deeds over the years.
Lunch with Santa – Novi
Saturday, December 21, 2019 from 11-1pm
- Address: Primanti Bros. (Novi, MI) – 43335 Crescent Boulevard, Novi, Michigan 48375
- Description: Tis the season! Bring the kiddos out to Primanti Bros. for a magical lunch with Santa! Santa will have giveaways & crafts for the kids (while supplies last).
Joy to the D (Free Toy Store) – Detroit
Saturday, December 21, 2019 from Noon-3pm
- Address: Courage Church – 1953 Military St, Detroit, Michigan 48209
- Description: Not only are there more *amazing* gifts than ever, but for every child present you can hand pick each gift. This year we will have a live nativity scene, petting zoo, and THE THREE WISE MEN in our warming tents before and after you shop! It is going to be an incredible Christmas Southwest, Detroit! Click share below, and join us Saturday, December 21st anytime between 12-3pm. Free child watch and activities while you shop — that’s right, bring your kids and shop kid-free! This is an absolutely free event. You will hand choose a gift, for every child present, and we will wrap it before you leave.