Barnum Park in Birmingham, Michigan is a community park, nestled in the Barnum Park community. The eight acres where this amazing little space was once their neighborhood school. In fact, Barnum Park is located at Pierce and Frank, west of Woodward and south of Maple. This amazing community gathering place features play structures, a softball field, a crushed stone walking path, a garden sanctuary, a soccer field, a tree-lined promenade, and an outdoor ice rink (open during the winter months).
What I especially love about Barnum Park in Birmingham is that the play equipment inspires a different type of play. In particular, participating in risky play gives children a chance to develop self-confidence, resilience, executive functioning abilities, and even risk-management skills. Elements challenge a child’s sense of balance and also encourage guests to figure out how to use each piece. The park includes two large structures as well as several smaller structures for hours of play. Smaller structures include not only a see-saw, red spinning bowls, a spinning circle, but also a sailboat. Guests can also enjoy sand play, swings, or a casual walk on the pea gravel paths.
Barnum Park in Birmingham, Michigan also has plenty of seating available, tables and chairs, picnic tables, and benches all within close proximity to the play area. Should you need to use the restroom during your visit, a port-a-potty is available.
Barnum Park Overview:
Play Elements: Two big structures, slide, as well as spinning objects
Swings: two regular in addition to two toddler swings
Surface: wood chips, grass, paved sidewalks, together with pea gravel walkways
Unique Features: balance based equipment
Water Fountain: yes
Picnic Tables: yes with pergola
Sports Fields: softball as well as soccer
Walking Trails: yes, pea gravel and also cement
Parking: cement lot on the west side of the park as well as street parking
Tot Play Structure: no
Fenced in: no
Seating: park benches
Free Little Library at Barnum Park
Birmingham’s first Little Free Library is located on the southeast corner of Barnum Park. This brightly colored owl houses free books where guests may come to get a book or give a book during their visit. Additionally, there is a perfect little nook for reading nearby. In fact, the nook is a circular park space with benches, tucked away from all the action.
Connect with the City of Birmingham
Parks in Birmingham, Michigan
- Birmingham Museum
- Barnum Park & Outdoor Ice Rink is an amazing community gathering place featuring play structures, sports fields, a walking path, & an outdoor ice rink.
- Booth Park & Sledding Hill in Downtown Birmingham is an amazing playground for children with a giant castle playscape, zen garden, swings, sandbox, and astro-turf hills.
- Kenning Park
- Lincoln Hills Golf Course (with sledding during the winter)
- Poppleton Park is a 13-acre community park in Birmingham, Michigan featuring three play structures, tennis, ball diamond and lots of green space.
- Lower Baldwin Park on Quarton Lake is a 29-acre park in Birmingham. The park surrounds Quarton Lake, with a gravel trail, fishing piers and greenspace.
- Shain Park is a 2.8-acre park in Birmingham with a plaza fountain, bandshell, small playground, manicured gardens, and plenty of benches and cafe seating.
- Springdale Park And Golf Course
Martha Baldwin Park
Quarton Tennis Courts
St. James Park
West Lincoln Well Site
Pump House Park
Check out our Ten Favorite Playgrounds in Metro Detroit.
Amber is the proud mother to four beautiful children, Damian (27), Rosaleigh (14), Carlyn (11), and Naomi (8). Her family also includes four cats.
She loves being a stay-at-home mom and feels blessed to be able to care for her children full-time and provide them with so many opportunities through Metro Detroit Mommy. In addition to Metro Detroit Mommy, Amber has a passion for hosting karaoke with Malibu Entertainment. She enjoys the metro Detroit nightlife especially, singing, dancing and meeting new people.