Shain Park is located in Downtown Birmingham. While the address is on Merrill Street, the street dead-ends at the park on both the east and west. In fact, the community park encompasses the entire block within the streets of Martin, Henrietta, South Bates, and Townsend.
The 2.8-acre park features a plaza fountain, bandshell, small playground, manicured gardens, a beautiful sculpture as well as plenty of seating and dining spaces. Shain Park is home to several summer concerts, however these concerts have been canceled for 2020. The bandshell provides an outdoor performance stage with open lawn as well as a large cement area for bigger audiences.
Shain Park Playground
The playground at Shain Park is rather small and is about 1/20th of the entire park’s area. It features two zip lines, monkey bars, several bucket swings, a small play structure with a slide, several small climbing elements, as well as a large tunnel.
While there are no restrooms or drinking fountains at the park, it is within walking distance to the Baldwin Public Library. (Check for hours of operation before you go.)
Finally, parking around the park is very limited and metered. In particular, there is a small lot on the south side of the park, on Townsend Street. However, if you don’t mind walking and plan to stay awhile, the Parking Structure on Chester and Martin is a great option. Surprisingly, for a limited time, they are offering FREE parking. (ending in September of 2020)
Shain Park Overview:
Play Elements: small play structure and also monkey bars
Swings: baby bucket swings only
Surface: wood chips, grass, paved sidewalks
Unique Features: zip lines, water fountain
Bathrooms: none, however, the Balwin Library is nearby
Drinking Fountain: no
Picnic Tables: no
Sports Fields: none
Walking Trails: none
Parking: metered parking on the street as well as nearby lots
Tot Play Structure: yes
Fenced in: no
Seating: park benches together with cafe tables & chairs
Connect with the City of Birmingham
Parks in Birmingham, Michigan
- Birmingham Museum
- Barnum Park & Outdoor Ice Rink is an amazing community gathering place featuring play structures, sports fields, a walking path, & an outdoor ice rink.
- Booth Park & Sledding Hill in Downtown Birmingham is an amazing playground for children with a giant castle playscape, zen garden, swings, sandbox, and astro-turf hills.
- Kenning Park
- Lincoln Hills Golf Course (with sledding during the winter)
- Poppleton Park is a 13-acre community park in Birmingham, Michigan featuring three play structures, tennis, ball diamond and lots of green space.
- Lower Baldwin Park on Quarton Lake is a 29-acre park in Birmingham. The park surrounds Quarton Lake, with a gravel trail, fishing piers and greenspace.
- Shain Park is a 2.8-acre park in Birmingham with a plaza fountain, bandshell, small playground, manicured gardens, and plenty of benches and cafe seating.
- Springdale Park And Golf Course
Martha Baldwin Park
Quarton Tennis Courts
St. James Park
West Lincoln Well Site
Pump House Park
Finally, check out our Ten Favorite Playgrounds in Metro Detroit.
Amber is the proud Homeschooling mother to four beautiful children, Damian (24), Rosaleigh (10), Carlyn (7), Naomi (4), and a wife to her loving husband, Chancellor. Her family also includes three cats.
She loves being a stay-at-home mom and feels blessed to be able to care for her children full-time and provide them with so many opportunities through Metro Detroit Mommy.