Just minutes from I-75, 8 mile and Woodward is a gem of a park in Palmer Park Detroit. This 296 acre park is home to a plethora of recreational opportunities.
Originally published on 9/3/15
Palmer Park Detroit Location and Hours
Palmer Park is located at 1900 Merrill Plaissance in Detroit Michigan. Situated west of Woodward Avenue and South of 7 Mile Road.
Palmer Park Detroit Hours
Summer – from 6am until 10pm
Winter – open during daylight hours only
Splash Park – open 10am until 8pm during summer months
Palmer Park Detroit Park Amenities
Palmer Park Detroit is a 296 acre park made up of of lawns and historic woodlands. The site also is home to tennis courts, splash park, hiking trail, fitness zone and biking trails. The Detroit Exploration and Nature Center provides recreational and educational opportunities on site. Picnic goers can enjoy the new pavilion an plaza areas in addition to an amazing view of the pond. Guests can visit Lake Frances and its lighthouse, a historic log cabin, as well as the Detroit Mounted Police. Visitors have been enjoying this nature park and recreation oasis for more than 100 years. Finally, plans are in the works to bring the State Fair Amphitheater to Palmer Park.
Palmer Park Playground
On August 10th, 2019 the new playground at Palmer Park Detroit was constructed. It took just six hours as well as more than 200 volunteers to complete the task. The playground consists of a large play structure as well as a smaller toddler structure. The large structure has several climbing elements and also a very tall slide. Also within the playground is a zip line, spinning ball and other fun elements. Children can enjoy two traditional swings as well as two toddler swings. Finally, parents can sit back and relax on one of the many benches around the playground.
Palmer Park Splash Pad
So to get to the Splash Pad (if you are coming from Woodward) you should turn down Merrill Plaisance Street. You will see a sign at the corner for Palmer Park. Travel along the road until you pass the wooded area then you will see the parking lot, play structure and splash pad on the right.
The Splash Pad at Palmer Park is open daily from 10am until 8pm during summer months. There are several spray elements on a concrete pad. During our visit in 2015 there were port-a-potties available nearby. There were also several picnic tables under a pavilion as well as a playground.
Connect with Detroit Parks & Recreation
Other Parks in Detroit
- Kids Row Playground on Belle Isle in Detroit – Kids Row Playground is impressive with a one-half acre of play space that includes swings, tunnels, slides as well as other play equipment. There is also a picnic pavilion.
- The Dad Butler Playfield is an 8,000 square foot, barrier-free play area. The playground has climbing structures with slides and swings with a combination of wood chips and rubber surface. Additionally, the park is home to soccer fields, baseball diamonds, and a picnic area. Other amenities include bike racks, picnic tables, trash receptacles, and park benches. There are no restroom facilities at this park.
- The Delray Memorial Park playground consists of two play structures and many swings. The structures include many different opportunities for children to climb, swing, jump and test their balance. Monkey bars, slides, stepping stones, and a rock wall are some of the many elements that will keep your child busy for hours. Should you need to use the bathroom, restroom facilities are available at the community center next door.
- Valade Park in Detroit features a beautiful playground as well as sandy beach, musical Garden, and plenty of great spaces for fishing.
- Don’t miss this urban summer destination. Campus Martius Beach has 400,000 pounds of sand, great views, comfy chairs, and a fun summer vibe.
- Mt. Elliott Park is a gem right on the Detroit Riverfront, a perfect place to cool down and let your children play at their brand new splash pad.
More Family Fun in Detroit
Michigan Science Center in Detroit
The Michigan Science Center has an abundance of attractions to offer. With approximately 87,000 square feet of science to explore, guests can get lost in the three main floors filled with over 250 hands-on exhibits.
Ganbaru Detroit Ninja Gym
Ganbaru Detroit Ninja Gym in Detroit offers youth ninja classes together with competitive ninja training, adult ninja and homeschool PE classes. Whether you are looking to try it out, or hone your skills at a competition level, this Detroit facility has it all. This indoor ninja gym also offers open gym times, birthday parties, and camps throughout the year.
Lafayette Greens is a great place to sit back and also relax. There is plenty to explore in this space. Rows upon rows of raised garden beds display beautiful as well as fragrant flowers.
Yohana Isabella is a former financial auditor turned stay at home mom of trilingual 2yo boy Charlie. She is passionate about photography, traveling, baking and cooking. She loves to explore new places, culture and food with her family all year round in Michigan and other states. She looks forward to contributing to Metro Detroit Mommy.
Follow her journey in instagram