can make when you have some time and then pull out on busy mornings and
microwave for a healthy and filling, yet quick meal for the family! What is even better is these are
customizable. If you have one child who
loves blueberries and another who only likes peaches, they can customize each
tin to what they like. Add in your
toppings; fresh fruit, dried fruit, nuts, raisins or chocolate chips. You could even add in some vanilla or
chocolate protein powder with the oatmeal for an extra protein kick! Fruit can range from apples, peaches,
nectarines, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, pears and
banana. You can also add in seasoning
like cinnamon, vanilla, maple syrup or honey.
Cook up a batch of oatmeal as you normally would, let cool for 15 minutes and then divvy it up
among muffin tins that have been coated with cooking spray. I found that 2 1/2 cups of oatmeal fills up 12 tins.
2. Add desired toppings to each tin and press so it freezes together. You can also layer some within the oatmeal cup. I chose, walnuts/raisins with syrup, blueberries, apples/raisins with cinnamon and nectarines. My son made some with chocolate chips and raisins.
3. Cover tin with plastic wrap and place in the freezer until frozen. Usually takes an hour or two.
4. Remove frozen tin from freezer and use a knife to remove the oatmeal cups from the tin. If it is still too frozen, give it 5 minutes for easy removing. Then individually wrap each cup in saran wrap and place together in a ziplock freezer bag and put back in the freezer.
5. You can remove desired number of cups from the freezer the night before to defrost in the fridge, or remove morning of.
6. Warm in the microwave for 60 seconds covered in a bowl, check temperature and add 30 seconds if needed.
7. Serve! You can also add a splash of milk to the bowl if you like. Voila, breakfast is served!
Theresa is a wife and stay at home mother of 2 boys, David (13) and Aiden (10). Her hobbies include traveling, reading, running, cooking and volunteering at MI Humane Society with the adoptable cats. She also spends her free time serving as PTO President at her son’s elementary school. She enjoys being active and is proud to have completed 4 marathons. She loves to share her passion for health and fitness with others.