Brought to you by:Kensington Church
“Mom, do we have to go?”
As moms, we’ve heard it plenty of times. Dragging your kids to the store, the doctor, or anywhere that doesn’t sound appetizing to them at the moment can be a frustrating experience. When it comes to getting your kids ready for church—especially leading up to the excitement of Christmas—the resistance is often even more frustrating. While many metro Detroit families will attend a church service on Christmas Eve or the days leading up to it, many will forgo a church service because they either don’t know where to attend, the kids aren’t fond of the idea, or they aren’t the church-going type.
The good news is, Kensington Church offers 51 services from December 22 through December 24, that the whole family will enjoy. Here’s why.
1. No experience necessary. Never been to church? Not sure where to take the family to celebrate Christmas? You and your family are invited to Kensington Church—a non-denominational church with six metro Detroit campus locations in Birmingham, Clarkston, Clinton Township, Lake Orion, Troy, and Shelby Township. Kensington’s Christmas service is designed for the whole family, with a separate program just for kids ages birth through 5-year-olds.
2. You’ll learn why December 25 isn’t “just another day.” Designed for adults and children kindergarten-aged and older, the Christmas service is titled, December 25: Just Another Day. Curious? Confused? The service will consider the question, “What if Jesus had never been born?” by looking at the far-reaching influence the birth of Jesus Christ had on the world and on us personally. Attendees will peer into the world that would have been if not for the birth of this baby in a manger 2,000 years ago, and see why Christmas can never be “Just Another Day!”
3. Laughter is encouraged! Fun at church? Is that allowed? At Kensington Church, you can cry, laugh, and good news: your kid’s screaming fit won’t interrupt everyone and leave you wanting to drive straight to the North Pole. Christmas at Kensington has exciting and fun elements that reflect the joy of the holiday season along with timeless Christmas traditions each family can experience together.
4. Your singing can be off. Our talented worship team will be leading you through familiar Christmas songs with the lyrics on the screens. Our concert-style live music will bring you to your feet. The best part of it, no one will be able to hear you if you sing off-tune! So long are the days of that person in the pew behind you who can’t get the pitch or the words right. At the end of service, we will illuminate the room with candles as we celebrate the light of the world!
5. The message is relatable. Not only will you learn about the birth of Jesus, but there will also be a compelling, relatable and understandable message presented by a Kensington teaching pastor that will help you understand how to apply scripture to your life.
6. You get to watch movies. Well, kind of. Our originally produced videos help tell the Christmas story and enhance the message of the day. We think you’ll like them. You can view past videos, weekend messages, and more on our YouTube channel.
7. Rest assured, your babies will be taken care of. The nursery is open for little ones from birth up to 2 years of age. While adults and older kids are experiencing the Christmas service, babies are taken care of in a safe, secure, and loving environment. They are prayed for, sung to, and receive plenty of cuddles. While children’s programming is offered and encouraged, little ones are welcome to join families in the auditorium for the main service as well. Kensington also offers a nursing mother’s room at each of our campuses which provides a quiet place for mothers and their young ones.
8. Kids ages 2-5 have a special Christmas program designed just for them! They will hear the Christmas story through the eyes of animals, engage in kid-friendly Christmas worship music, and learn a Bible verse. Led by trained staff and volunteers, the program taps into the kids’ excitement for the holiday to help them understand the reason for the season. While some kids new to Kensington may enter the kids’ area with some hesitation or can be shy at first, they warm up quickly with the other kids, friendly staff, and fun activities planned just for them.
9. Our kids’ area is safe and secure. The separate and secured kids’ area is limited to parents-only for drop-off and pick-up. Other than parents, children, and staff, no one else can enter. Upon arrival, parents get a tag at the welcome desk with a number, which matches the number of their child. For more information and frequently asked questions about our kid’s programming, visit kensingtonchurch.org/kids.
10. Free coffee. Need we say more? Oh, and you can sip that coffee wearing whatever you’d like! Got an ugly Christmas sweater that hasn’t made an appearance yet this Christmas? Bring it on!
Service Times & Locations
There are 51 services offered from December 22 through December 24. For a complete listing of service times at each of the locations listed below, visit kensingtonchurch.org/Christmas. Reserve your spot by downloading free tickets.
Kensington Troy Campus
1825 E Square Lake Road
Troy, MI 48085
Kensington Birmingham Campus
Groves High School
13 Mile Rd, Beverly Hills, MI 48025
Kensington Clinton Township Campus
24600 Frederick Pankow Blvd
Charter Twp of Clinton, MI 48036
Kensington Clarkston Campus
6595 Waldon Rd
Village of Clarkston, MI 48346
Kensington Orion Campus
4640 S Lapeer Road
Lake Orion, MI 48359
Kensington Shelby Campus
6500 25 Mile Road
Shelby Charter Township, MI 48316