From exploring nature in the backyard to using chemistry in our kitchen, science is a big part of our everyday lives. And that’s one of the best parts about science – it’s easy to demonstrate and create teachable moments every day.
3 Fun Science Experiments for Toddlers
Teach young children a basic understanding of where bugs live and examine different types of bugs.
- Take your child into the backyard and go on a bug hunt.
- Move planters, rocks and logs to look underneath and discover what lives there.
- Toddlers can learn to identify a spider from a centipede and a ladybug from a worm.
- You do not have to be an entomologist to teach bug identification, though it may be handy to have a simple field guide.
- Most toddlers will notice the different shapes and movements of each type of bug as you point and say the name of the bug.
- Soon your toddler will be pointing out and naming bugs for you.
Build a Volcano
- Take your toddler outside, because you will be making a mess, and have them experiment on their own.
- Give him an empty cup or bowl to make his own mixture.
- You supply the baking soda, spoon and different amounts of vinegar in different cups.
- Then sit back and watch him learn from his own creations.
- He can choose how much of each ingredient to mix together to see the results.
- He will quickly learn that some mixtures make few bubbles while others create a volcano of bubbles.
Liquids and Solids
- In a large, deep pan or bowl, mix cornstarch and water together, then let your child dive in with his hands.
- Squeezing the cornstarch creates a packed ball that is almost a solid. Release the ball and it returns to a more liquid form.
- You and your child can experiment mixing different amounts of water and cornstarch and feel the results.
- Try putting your feet in it and squishing your toes!
Amber is the proud mother to four beautiful children, Damian (27), Rosaleigh (14), Carlyn (11), and Naomi (8). Her family also includes four cats.
She loves being a stay-at-home mom and feels blessed to be able to care for her children full-time and provide them with so many opportunities through Metro Detroit Mommy. In addition to Metro Detroit Mommy, Amber has a passion for hosting karaoke with Malibu Entertainment. She enjoys the metro Detroit nightlife especially, singing, dancing and meeting new people.