St. Patrick’s Day commemorates the patron saint of Ireland, Saint Patrick. The holiday is celebrated all over the world and is known for its festive green attire, parades and drinking. According to WalletHub, St. Patrick’s Day ranks third among the most popular drinking days. Moreover, spirit sales increase on St. Patrick’s Day by 153% compared to an average day. For those who want to skip the green beer, but still enjoy the festive nature of vibrant drinks, there are non-alcoholic options available.
Here are three delicious and easy-to-make non-alcoholic St. Patty’s Day drinks that are perfect for celebrating the holiday:
Spicy Green Mock-arita – Makes 4
This spicy and refreshing drink is a perfect substitute for the traditional margarita. Jalapeño and lime make the perfect combination to spice up your St. Patty’s Day.
- 1 blood orange, quartered
- 1 jalapeño, sliced, seeds removed if desired
- 4 large limes, juiced
- 6 tablespoons simple syrup
- 1 12-ounce. can lime-flavored sparkling water
- Optional – 1 Tbsp. coarse salt for the rim, 1 drop green food coloring
- If a salt rim is desired, rub some lime juice along the rim and dip in coarse salt
- In a glass, add a few jalapeño slices and press down with a muddler or spoon. Leave the jalapeño slices in there if you desire a spicier aftermath. Add ice, squeeze a quarter wedge of blood orange and 1 lime. Add 1 ½ tablespoons of simple syrup and stir well. Adjust sweetness if desired. Top with lime sparkling water. Stir in 1 drop of green food coloring if desired. Cheers!
Cucumber Lime Agua Fresca – Serves 4
This refreshing and hydrating drink brings a festive natural green color to the table. Simply blend the ingredients, sieve and enjoy.
- 1.5 English cucumbers ends trimmed, chopped, reserve a few slices for garnish
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup mint leaves
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 ½ cups filtered water
- Add all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour contents over a fine mesh sieve over a bowl and pour the blender contents through. Press using a spoon or spatula to ensure as much liquid as possible is pushed through. Taste and adjust sugar according to taste. Serve sieved liquid divided among 4 ice-filled glasses. Garnish with mint and a cucumber slice. Cheers!
Kiwi Coconut Refresher – Serves 4
This tropical drink is perfect for those who want to celebrate St. Patty’s Day with a fruity and refreshing beverage. For this recipe, the only tools you’ll need are a blender, knife and cutting board.
- 6 kiwi fruit peeled and roughly diced, plus 1 kiwi sliced for garnish
- 1 cup coconut water
- 2 12-ounce cans pineapple sparkling water
- 1/3 cup agave nectar or sugar to taste (more or less depending on the sweetness of the kiwi)
- Place kiwi and lime juice in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Divide mixture among 4 ice-filled glasses and top with pineapple sparkling water. Garnish with a kiwi slice. Cheers!
Shanthi Appelö is a registered dietitian and health and wellness spokesperson for Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan based in Detroit. For more healthy recipes and wellness information, visit ahealthiermichigan.org.
Our mission is to help everyone in Michigan get healthier from the inside out. This means everything from giving you resources to help you make better decisions about diet and exercise, as well as information on creating and sustaining nurturing communities and successful businesses — everything you need to help create a healthier Michigan.