The Southfield Sports Arena is located on the grounds of the Southfield Municipal Complex (on Evergreen between 10 mile and I696). The arena is a multi-use complex with a regulation NHL ice surface and an Olympic-sized outdoor swimming pool.
In addition to the Olympic sized pool, the Southfield Sports Arena hosts a children’s spray pool, climbing wall, and 120-foot waterslide on site. Open Swim takes place Monday through Saturday from 12:30-6:00 p.m.. The pool is closed on Sundays. General Swim admission is $4 per resident child ($5 for non-residents) and $5 per resident ages 18+ ($6 for non-residents). Season swim passes (and admission) are available for individuals and families at the Sports Arena office.
Picnic tables (both inside and outside), restrooms, water, vending machines and changing rooms are all available at the Sports Complex.
With two little ones who are not proficient swimmers, we spent our entire time in the kiddie pool which has a max depth of 1 foot, which seemed a little deep for Carlyn. At almost age two, I was not comfortable letting her play on her own, and walking through the water was a bit challenging for her.
There were jets in the water that sprayed water into the pool along with two water features. The one pictured above slowly fills the buckets as the crank is turned. The buckets then tips when it gets full.
This would be a great place to spend the day for children who are proficient swimmers. The slide and rock climbing wall look like a lot of fun. There is no discount for young children (even babies are charged the “child” rate, and you will need a special card for your children if you are a Southfield resident to get the resident discount.
Overall, I would recommend this facility for parents of children that are proficient swimmers or no more than one child who would need constant swimming supervision.
Other Parks in Southfield
- Bauervic Woods Park – A 80 acre nature preserve with a colorful playground. The heavily forested area also hosts nature trails and picnic facilities.
- Bedford Woods Park – a 14 acre neighborhood park. The park features a playground as well as sports and picnic facilities.
- Beech Woods Park is an 81 acre community park. Guests can enjoy a sports arena, golf course, and also a golf range. Visitors can utilize the playground as well as tennis courts, volleyball and picnic facilities with grills.
- Berberian Woods Nature Preserve – Features nature trails.
- Brace Park – hosts neighborhood ballfields as well as public parking.
- Burgh Historical Park – 7 acre historical site with flower gardens.
- Carpenter Lake Nature Preserve – 42 acre property with nature trails as well as benches throughout the park. The site also features accessible fishing and viewing platforms.
- Civic Center Park – Community park with a plethora of sports fields as well as nature trails. The site also features a playground, outdoor swimming pool and picnic facilities.
- Freeway Park – playground
- Inglenook Park – Community park with a Boundless Playground, nature area, as well as picnic facilities. Visitors can also enjoy ballfields and fitness trails.
- John Grace Park – Features Roller Hockey together with a tennis court and ballfield. This park also features a playground area.
- John R Miller – Guests can enjoy sports fields as well as picnic tables and a super cute playground.
- Lincoln Woods – This park features nature trails together with wetland areas.
- Mary Thompson House and Farm – Community gardens and historical site.
- Pebble Creek Park – Enjoy a fitness trail as well as soccer field and tennis courts. The site also hosts a playground.
- Simms Park – Guests can enjoy a playground together with picnic facilities and ballfields.
- Stratford Woods Commons – This site features a playground and picnic area.
- Valley Woods Nature Preserve – This land hosts nature trails and is also a nice spot for fishing.
Connect with Southfield
More Family Fun in Southfield
Southfield Public Library
This location offers a Dragon’s Den within the “Once Upon a Time” themed children’s area. Enjoy the Secret Garden outside as well as the nature trails.
Detroit Kid City
Detroit Kid City is set up with many different building themed rooms for young children to explore and allows their imagination to roam in a space where dramatic play is king. A barber shop, pizzeria, market, school house, bank and many other areas are loaded with tools of the trade that encourage children to pretend and be creative.
Inglenook Park in Southfield is a Boundless Playground designed for children of all abilities. The farm-themed playground is located in Southfield on 12 Mile Road, between Evergreen & Lahser roads. The park also offers gravel Jogging/Fitness Trails, Neighborhood Ballfields, a spacious Picnic Area (no shelter), Playlot, Restrooms, Nature Area and Public Parking.
Amber is the proud Homeschooling mother to four beautiful children, Damian (24), Rosaleigh (10), Carlyn (7), Naomi (4), and a wife to her loving husband, Chancellor. Her family also includes three cats.
She loves being a stay-at-home mom and feels blessed to be able to care for her children full-time and provide them with so many opportunities through Metro Detroit Mommy.