In 2016, there were over 2 million homeschool students in the United States. At this time, it is estimated that those numbers will grow between 2% and 8% over the next few years. It might seem overwhelming at first, but there are several local programs that can help parents in their homeschooling journey. One program that I found very useful is Homeschool Connections. My daughters, Rosaleigh as well as Carlyn have attended these classes in past years. While they attend HighPoint Hybrid Academy, the classes offered by Homeschool Connections provided an amazing supplemental resource for us.
What is Homeschool Connections?
Homeschool Connections is an independent, homeschool program created by homeschoolers for homeschooling families. The program’s goal is to help families educate their children in a way that facilitates wonder together with excitement. All of their teachers are passionate and especially knowledgeable about the subjects they cover. Parents choose individual classes, a-la-carte that suit the needs of their child.
Homeschool Connections provides classes to supplement your homeschool curriculum. To this end, they tackle many subjects that you may not feel confident teaching. Conversely, they can bring new ideas and energy to those you might find dull. What’s more, some classes feature epic science experiments, engaging history lessons, amazing art projects. Your student will have the opportunity to learn about a wide variety of topics. Some of these topics include science, language arts, social studies, technology, fine arts, life skills as well as many diverse subject matters of interest.
Elementary grade-level classes use an experienced-based curriculum to create curiosity, interest, and enthusiasm in the topic. While middle and high school classes are often more involved with homework than elementary classes and use a curriculum. High school classes are designed in a university-style format. This allows students to get used to following a syllabus and learn to manage their time well. They will also gain interest in the subject of their classes.
Where do they Meet?
Homeschool Connections classes meet in person once per week. Families can choose from seven locations:
AUBURN HILLS on Mondays
248-710-0360 ext. 1001
3411 E Walton Blvd.
Auburn Hills, MI 48326
CLARKSTON on Fridays
248-710-0360 ext. 1003
6300 Clarkston Rd.
Village of Clarkston, MI 48346
CLINTON TOWNSHIP on Mondays
248-710-0360 ext. 1002
19700 15 Mile Road
Charter Township of Clinton, MI 48035
ROCHESTER HILLS on Tuesdays
248-710-0360 ext. 1004
160 West Hamlin Rd.
Rochester Hills, MI 48307
ROMEO on Thursdays
248-710-0360 ext. 1005
74903 McKay Rd.
Bruce Twp., MI 48065
SHELBY TOWNSHIP on Fridays
248-710-0360 ext. 1006
12400 23-Mile Rd.
Shelby Twp, MI 48315
TROY on Thursdays
248-710-0360 ext. 1007
3668 Livernois Rd.
Troy, MI 48083
How Much Does it Cost?
Parents can choose either a “self-pay” option. Or parents can enroll in the public school funding option. Clarkston Community Schools will help pay a portion of the Homeschool Connection fees.
Classes are $145 each if paid before Sept 13th, 2020 for fall classes, or $180 if paid after 9/13
Why Choose Homeschool Connections?
- The middle and lower grade level classes use an experience-based curriculum. Therefore creating a curiosity, interest, and enthusiasm in the topic.
- Middle and high school classes are often more involved with homework than elementary classes and use a curriculum.
- Homeschool Connections uses a university-style format for their high school classes. This style teaches the students how to follow a syllabus and learn to manage their time well. It also encourages the student to gain interest in the subject of their classes.
- The teachers are fabulous, highly passionate, high-quality people who love to teach, love what they know. Therefore they have a desire to pass on their love for their area of expertise to the children and teens.
- They enhance education by providing classes on subjects that families need while assisting with learning.
- You choose what is important for your kids to learn and similarly, you structure your homeschooling around that. Then they enhance and reinforce your learning goals for your kids.
- Parents are really good at teaching a lot of things to their kids. However, there are some subjects that not every parent feels equipped to teach. For example high school biology or calculus.
- Some children thrive in certain areas until their parents try to help them. Then they lose interest or could use a different perspective. Thus, Homeschool Connections can help by providing a teacher to encourage the child in enjoying those kinds of subjects again.
Connect with Homeschool Connections
Amber is the proud mother to four beautiful children, Damian (27), Rosaleigh (14), Carlyn (11), and Naomi (8). Her family also includes four cats.
She loves being a stay-at-home mom and feels blessed to be able to care for her children full-time and provide them with so many opportunities through Metro Detroit Mommy. In addition to Metro Detroit Mommy, Amber has a passion for hosting karaoke with Malibu Entertainment. She enjoys the metro Detroit nightlife especially, singing, dancing and meeting new people.