Family Events for the Week of December 30th, 2019
We have some fun ideas for your winter fun this week. Our top picks for Metro Detroit family events. Looking for some great places to visit this November? Check out our indoor play place suggestions in Oakland, Macomb, and Wayne counties. Gearing up for winter? Check out sledding hills in Metro Detroit, or outdoor ice skating pages.
Christmas Tree Recycling Starts – Oakland County
Now until January 26, 202 from 9am-4pm
- Address: 11 Oakland County Parks
- Description: From Dec. 26 to Jan. 26, trade your Christmas tree for a new tree! From 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. each day of the week, follow drop-off signs at Christmas tree recycling sites: Addison Oaks, Catalpa Oaks, Glen Oaks Golf Course, Groveland Oaks, Independence Oaks-North, Lyon Oaks (Park), Oakland County Farmers Market, Orion Oaks, Red Oaks Golf Course, Springfield Oaks (Park) and White Lake Oaks Golf Course. In return for recycling a Christmas tree, the Oakland Conservation District will distribute FREE white pine seedlings on Saturday, May 2, 2020, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., 1580 Scott Lake Road, Waterford. No charge to drop off trees, no commercial trees accepted, plastic, tinsel and wire must be removed.
$89 per day Before & After Care from 8 to 6, $12 per hour
Jan 2 – Harry Potter
If you love Harry Potter, you’ll love this camp! If you don’t love Harry Potter, you’re going to be a fan by the end of the day. Campers will be broken into different LEGO and LEGO robotics workshops throughout the day as they create an original Harry Potter themed holiday installation.
Jan 3 Holiday Video Game & Design Camp
If your kids love video games, we have an amazing track record of tapping into that passion to teach coding and game design. In this camp, kids will be divided based on age, and work on age appropriate projects accordingly. Only PART of this day will be spent on screens. Please let your campers know they will be busy doing multiple projects throughout the day, some on screens and some physically building mechanical games.
Wild Lights – Detroit
December 31, and Jan 2-5 from 5:30 – 10pm
- Address: Detroit Zoo – 8450 W 10 Mile Rd, Royal Oak, Michigan 48067
- Description: The Detroit Zoo will light up the night again this holiday season with Wild Lights, a spectacular light display. For 29 nights, more than five million LED lights will illuminate trees, buildings and more than 230 animal sculptures throughout the front half of the Zoo. Experience the magic of the Detroit Zoo in winter as you take in the lights and the sights and enjoy holiday entertainment and special activities for guests of all ages.
New Year’s Eve Ball Drop for Kids
Tuesday, December 31, 2019 from 1:30 p to 4:30 p
- Address: Detroit City Clubhouse 3401 E. Lafayette St., Detroit, Michigan 48207
- Description: Enjoy a family-friendly New Year’s Eve party from 1:30-4:30 pm at the Clubhouse! We’ll have open soccer fields, kids snacks and meals and some delicious drinks for adults as well. “Ball Drop” will be at 4 pm!
NYE at Beacon Park
December 31, 1 – 6pm
- Address: BEACON PARK 1903 GRAND RIVER AVENUE, DETROIT, MI 48226
- Description: It’s not every year you get to usher in a brand new decade! Bring the whole family to celebrate the start of 2020 at Beacon Park. Dress to impress at this event which will offer all the fun and excitement of a traditional New Year’s Eve party, including a countdown and ball drop, while allowing you and the kiddos to be home and tucked safely into bed long before the clock strikes midnight. This event will offer a wide range of activities and crafts for all ages. Stay tuned for details!
New Year’s Eve Family Night Out
Tue, Dec 31, 5:00 – 8:30 PM
- Address: Troy Community Center 3179 Livernois Rd, Troy, MI
- Description: Looking for something different to do as a family for New Year’s Eve? Stop in and enjoy our activities which include: basketball, swimming, the inflatable castle and more!
Pizza and pop available for purchase.
Free for community pass holders!
Big Bright Light Show
Daily through January 5th, 2020 from 5 pm-midnight
- Address: Downtown Rochester, Main Street
- Description: You are invited to brighten your holidays in Downtown Rochester with The Big, Bright Light Show! The buildings in downtown Rochester will be covered with more than 1 million points of glimmering holiday light.
Dollar Skate Days
January 2-4, 2020 12 pm to 3 pm
- Address: Hazel Park Viking Arena, 1555 E Woodward Heights Blvd, Hazel Park, MI 48030
- Description: Dollar Skate Days are back!
Join us for a fun day. Youths MUST with an adult
Single Skate Session: $1
Skate Session + Meal: $3
Family of 3 (Skate + Meal) $7, (+2 per additional person)
Free Skate Loan Saturday
Jan 4th, 18, Feb 15 & Feb 29, 2020, from 10 am – 2 pm
- Address: Oakland Township Parks and Recreation Commission 4480 Orion Rd, Rochester, Michigan 48306
- Description: On select Saturdays (1/4, 1/18, 2/15 & 2/29) from 10 am to 2 pm, we’ll have a variety of sizes available for children and adults for free. A limited number of skates available.
Cardboard Sled Creations
January 4, 2020 @ 10:00 am – 11:00 am
- Address: Hudson Mills Metropark, Activity Center – 8801 N Territorial Rd, Dexter, MI 48130
- Description: We’ll supply the cardboard and materials while you supply the creativity for this fun sledding program. Build your own creation to sit in, then take it to the hill to test gravity. If you get too cool, warm-up in the activity center with some hot chocolate. Take your creation home to show your friends. Ages 6 and up.
Every Saturday and Sunday @ 12:00 pm – 4:00 pm through 1/26/2020
- Address: Kensington Metropark, Farm Center – Map Me
- Description: Winter has arrived with crisp air and (hopefully) a blanket of snow covering your favorite trails. Enjoy a horse-drawn hayride or sleigh ride (weather permitting) through the wooded trails around the Farm Center. Wheelchair lift available with advanced notice.
Thursday + Friday: 11am-8pm
Saturday, + Sunday: 11am-5pm
- Address: MUSEUM OF CONTEMPORARY ART DETROIT -4454 Woodward Ave, Detroit
- Description: In Robolights Detroit, visitors are invited to wander along pathways inside of a dazzling carnival filled with sculptures of towering robots, dinosaurs, alien spacecraft, and fantastical creatures from the future, all painted in a wondrous array of vivid colors and wrapped up in thousands of lights. A companion exhibition featuring sci-fi themed pen and ink drawings by Irwin will take place inside of the Mobile Homestead. Both exhibitions are accompanied by a book of photographs of the original Robolights in Palm Springs by Julie Reyes Taubman, the late founding member of MOCAD.
Cranbrook Institute of Science – MASCO Free First Friday
January 3, 2020 from 5 pm to 10 pm
- Address: 39221 Woodward Avenue, Bloomfield Hills, MI 48303-0801
- Description: Courtesy of the MASCO Corporation Foundation, the Institute of Science is free after 5pm the first Friday of each month. Join us for a free evening of science fun! The Café and Observatory are open.
Planetarium programs and admission to the Changing Exhibit Gallery are offered at an additional charge.
Flint Institute of Arts – Free Admission Saturdays
January 4, 2020 from 10 am – 5 pm
- Address: 1120 East Kearsley Street, Flint, Michigan 48503
- Description: Huntington celebrates the Flint Institute of Arts by providing everyone access free of charge every Saturday.
Huntington’s “Welcome” philosophy is a perfect fit for Free Saturdays at the Flint Institute of Arts and an open invitation for all to come, see, and experience art. Throughout its 150-year history, Huntington has committed to a full scope of community investments from business growth, affordable housing and financial education to sustaining a better quality of life through support of arts and education.
Live Owl Tours
Saturday, Jan 4th from 1 pm – 2 pm
- Address: Stage Nature Center 6685 Coolidge Hwy, Troy, Michigan 48098
Join us on this tour to visit the 5 rehabilitated owls that call the Stage Nature Center home. This tour gives you a chance to learn more about the different owl species, reasons why they each live in captivity, explore their different personalities, and get your owl questions answered.
Children must be accompanied by a registered adult.
Ages: Recommended for ages 3- Adult
Space is limited. Registrations may fill before the day of the program. Pre-registration is strongly recommended.