Family Events for the Week of December 2nd, 2019
We have some fun ideas for your fall fun this week. Our top picks for Metro Detroit family events. Looking for some great places to visit this November? Check out our indoor play place suggestions in Oakland, Macomb, and Wayne counties. Gearing up for Christmas? Check out places to meet Santa, Tree Lighting Ceremonies or Meals with Santa.
Holiday Markets 2019 – Detroit
Sunday, December 8, 2019 from 9am-3pm
- Address: Eastern Market Partnership2934 Russell St, Detroit, Michigan 48207
- Description: Holiday Markets are back! In addition to our Saturday Market that operates year-round, we have six additional markets for all your holiday shopping needs.
- Other dates include: Sunday, December 8, Sunday, December 15, Thursday, December 19 – Night Market, Sunday, December 22
- Cost: There are no tickets for this event. It is free and open to all ages.
$14 per child Grades K-8 / $6 pizza
Register to bring your kids to The Robot Garage for a Kids-Night-Out and they will LOVE that you’re leaving them behind for a night to yourself. Our amazing staff will oversee informal LEGO and robotic activities . Students may pack dinner and a water bottle or sign up for Pizza for $6 per student.
Sunday Concert – Oak Park
Sunday, December 8, 2019 at 3pm
- Address: 14200 Oak Park Blvd. Oak Park, MI 48237
- Description: Oak Park Library will host San, Emily, and Brian for a musical performance.
Christmas in Plymouth & Mistletoe Market – Plymouth
Thursday, December 5, 2019 Noon-9pm
- Address: Downtown Plymouth
- Description: City sidewalks dressed in holiday style. Horse-drawn carriages, unique gifts, dining specials, firepit warming stations, live street music & dancing, cookie decorating, reindeer and Santa appearances and more! Horse & Carriage Tickets go on sale at 10am, Tuesday, November 26 at Sun and Snow Sports – (388 S. Main Street, Plymouth) *Note: Cash and Check Only. Horse Drawn Carriage and Wagon Tickets are $7 each. (Carriages hold 6 passengers, Wagons hold 18). Also introducing the second annual Mistletoe Market! A European-style, traditional open-air under the Plymouth Gathering!
2019 Kris Kringle Market – Rochester
Friday, December 6, 2019 from 4-10pm
Saturday, December 7, 2019 from Noon-10pm
- Address: Downtown Rochester
- Description: The 12th annual Kris Kringle Market, presented by Lincoln of Troy, is a European style, open-air market featuring fresh greens & wreaths, handcrafted gifts and specialty foods for the holiday. A feast for the senses, visitors can enjoy the sounds of holiday music, the aroma of roasted almonds and kettle corn and the ambiance created by individual tents adorned with garland and lights.
- Products range from Michigan themed apparel and handcrafted jewelry to Dresden stollen and handmade sugar cookies. Vendors will include Bavarian Roasted Almonds Co., Nitsches Meats & Deli, The Original Strudel Factory and so much more!
$12 for adults or $8 for children 12 and younger
Buddy, a young orphan, mistakenly crawls into Santa’s bag of gifts and is transported to the North Pole. The would-be elf is raised, unaware that he is actually a human, until his enormous size and poor toy-making abilities cause him to face the truth. With Santa’s permission, Buddy embarks on a journey to New York City to find his birth father and discover his true identity
City of Wixom Tree Lighting Festival – Wixom
Friday, December 6, 2019 from 5-11pm
- Address: 49015 Pontiac Trl, Wixom, MI 48393
- Description: It’s a fun-filled family night as we welcome the holiday season to Wixom! Our giant tree will come alive when Santa and his reindeer arrive.
Family Sensory Days – Royal Oak
Monday, December 2, 2019 from 2-8 PM
- Address: Bowlero Lanes & Lounge – 4209 Coolidge Highway, Royal Oak, MI 48073
- Description: Every 1st and 3rd Mondays in December, the bowling alley offers dimmed lighting, quieter music, and special amenities for an enriching and fun outing for the whole family. Staff who are sensitive to those with special needs. Weighted vests & noise-cancelling headphones, available free of charge.
- Cost: $20/hour/lane
Wild Lights – Detroit
Friday, Saturday, Sunday December 6, 7, 8, 2019 from 5:30pm-10:30-pm
- Address: Detroit Zoo – 8450 W. 10 Mile Road, Royal Oak, MI 48067
- Description: The Detroit Zoo will light up the night again this holiday season with Wild Lights, a spectacular light display. For 29 nights, more than five million LED lights will illuminate trees, buildings and 280 sculptures – more than 230 of which are animals – throughout the front half of the Zoo. Experience the magic of the Detroit Zoo in winter as you take in the lights and the sights and enjoy holiday entertainment and special activities for guests of all ages.
- Cost: From $11-$37; Children younger than 2 are admitted free.
On Sunday, December 8, at 2 pm, FPCRO is pleased to be hosting The Michigan Opera Theater Children’s Chorus in a special concert, “Sing Noel!” Thanks to a grant from the Earla Smith Foundation this concert will be presented free of charge. Come and enjoy these talented children in a varied program of standard fare and holiday favorites. Childcare will be provided during the concert
Bag It-The Plastic Solution – Novi
Tuesday, December 3, 2019 from 6-7:30pm
- Address: Novi Public Library – 45255 W 10 Mile Rd, Novi, MI 48375
- Description: Ever wonder what you can do at home to reduce your plastic footprint? This film follows an average guy who makes a resolution to stop using plastic bags at the grocery store. Little does he know that this simple decision will change his life completely. He comes to the conclusion that our consumptive use of plastic has finally caught up to us, and looks at what we can do about it. Today. Right now.
- Cost: Free
Light Up the Night – Novi
Friday, December 6, 2019 from 6-9pm
- Address: Novi Civic Center – 45175 W 10 Mile Rd, Novi, MI 48375
- Description: Join us for the free community event that includes the Tree Lighting, visits with Santa, Fireworks, Kids Crafts, Craft Bazaar, Tubing Hill, Petting Farm, Reindeer, S’mores, Train Rides, Food (for purchase) and so much more.
- Santa Visits: We will not be having participants waiting in line to see Santa this year. When you check in at the Santa Workshop desk you will be given a ticket to let you know when to come back for your visits. Visits will be scheduled in 15 minute increments and 15 people per time slot.
Holiday Market – Waterford
Wednesday, December 4, 2019 from 3-7pm
- Address: Oakland County Farmers Market: 2350 Pontiac Lake Rd Waterford, MI 48328
- Description: ind unique items for everyone on your list while supporting local small businesses. Vendors will be selling holiday gift items, food and more.
Jingle Bell Ball – Waterford
Wednesday, December 4, 2019 from 6-8pm
- Address: Waterford Oaks Activity Center: 2800 Watkins Lake Road, Waterford, MI 48328
- Description: Adaptive Recreation programming fosters a sense of camaraderie and provides fellowship opportunities for both participants and caregivers. For individuals 18 and older with developmental disabilities, the Jingle Bell Ball will include music, dancing, pizza and dessert. There will also be a visit from Santa (gift for participant only).
- Cost: $12/participant; $6/caregiver. Register by Nov. 26, 2019. Pre-registration with payment required; no walk-ins, no refunds.
Morning Munchkins – Waterford
Friday, December 6, 2019 from 10:30-11:15am
- Address: Red Oaks Nature Center: 30300 Hales Street Madison Heights, MI 48071
- Description: Join us for an exciting series just for preschoolers. Bring your munchkin to the nature center on Oct. 4, Nov. 1 and Dec. 6 for a favorite story and a related hands-on, nature-based discovery activity. This series is offered the first Friday of each month.
- Cost: $1/person/session. Pre-registration with payment required.
Kids Holiday Mini-Camp – Clarkston
Saturday, December 7, 2019 from 10-1:00pm
- Address: Wint Nature Center: 9501 Sashabaw Road, Clarkston, MI 48348
- Description: Kids can enjoy an afternoon of holiday fun at the nature center, this kids-only event includes science experiments, a yummy snack and a holiday craft to take home and give to someone special. This program is suitable for children ages 5-10 years old. A release form is required with registration.
- Cost: $15/child. Pre-registration with payment required.
Storytime with Santa – Madison Heights
Saturday, December 7, 2019 from 3-4pm
- Address: Red Oaks Nature Center: 30300 Hales Street Madison Heights, MI 48071
- Description: Enjoy a visit from Santa & Mrs. Claus as you munch a sugar cookie and hear a story. Sing carols around a crackling fire and make a holiday themed craft. Suitable for all ages.
- Cost: $5/person. Preregistration with payment required.
The Polar Express – Farmington
Saturday, December 7, 2019 at 10 AM – 11:40 PM
- Address: Farmington Civic Theater – 33332 Grand River Ave, Farmington, Michigan
- Description: Free movies with a donation to the Farmington Area Goodfellows in the form of new unwrapped toys, new books, new batteries, bag of nonperishable, canned/boxed food with 2021 expiration dates and beyond. Cash/check donations gladly accepted.
- Movie schedule:
- 10:00am The Polar Express (G) 1 hour 40 minutes
- 10:10am Shrek the Halls (TV-PG) 21 minutes
- 11:10am Shrek the Halls (TV-PG) 21 minutes
- 12:20pm The Polar Express (G) 1 hour 40 minutes
- 12:10pm Shrek the Halls (TV-PG) 21 minutes
- 1:10pm Shrek the Halls (TV-PG) 21 minutes