Metro Detroit Mommy Blogger Theresa Walker – BeachBody Coach
Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
Tomato basil soup is one of my favorite soups, I was thrilled to find this healthier version! The key to making this healthier is using unsweetened almond milk, instead of heavy cream. I’m happy to report after trying it, I found it extremely delicious and satisfying and will be making it again soon, because the batch I made went very quickly!
4 tsp olive oil
1/2 cup chopped carrots
1/2 cup chopped onions
2 tsp dried basil leaves
1- 28oz can whole peeled tomatoes
3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
3/4 tsp sea salt
1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
Parmesan or mozzarella cheese, basil or croutons
1. Heat oil in a medium sauce pan on medium high heat.
2. Add carrots, onion and dried basil, cook stirring frequently for about 5 minutes, until onions are translucent.
3. Add tomatoes, salt and broth; cook, stirring frequently for 2-3 minutes or until it reaches a gentle boil. Reduce heat to low. Gently boil for 15 minutes.
4. Place soup in a blender, in 2 or more batches, cover with lid and kitchen towel. Blend until smooth.
5. Return soup to sauce pan. Add almond milk, cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently for 1-2 minutes, or until heated through. Do NOT let it come to a boil.
6. Ladle into a bowls, top with desired toppings. Enjoy!
Makes 8 One Cup Servings, at 82 calories.
Recipe is from Autumn Calabrese’s FIXATE Cook book which has recipes that follow the 21 Day Fix nutrition plan.
Theresa is a wife and stay at home mother of 2 boys, David (13) and Aiden (10). Her hobbies include traveling, reading, running, cooking and volunteering at MI Humane Society with the adoptable cats. She also spends her free time serving as PTO President at her son’s elementary school. She enjoys being active and is proud to have completed 4 marathons. She loves to share her passion for health and fitness with others.