5 Reasons All Classrooms Need Drums
Did you know that active music-making is more effective in boosting the immune system than over the counter vitamins? Take a look at these top 5 reasons drums should be a part of your accessible classroom materials each and every day.
1. Active drumming has been credited with improving immune function and mood.
2. The average human has little or no Alpha brain wave function, while Alpha waves are responsible for memory retention, higher-level learning, creativity, and more. Research proves that active drumming increases the Alpha brain waves by 50% in just 30 minutes!
3. Active drumming for just 30 minutes can burn up to 1,000 calories! (Bring on Rest Time!)
4. Regular drumming supports stress reduction in both children and adults of all ages. Do the math: Less Stress + More Movement = Fewer outbursts, reduced yelling, increased focus and most importantly fun! Remember, a stressed brain cannot learn.
5. More than 700 neural connections form in the early years of life, so imagine if even half of those involved music benefits 1-4 could be lifelong.
Keep an eye out for more information about using drums in the classroom as well as other helpful tips at our Wayne RESA GSRP Facebook Page. Each and every Tuesday, you’ll find a #teachertipTuesday post to inspire and excite educators and families alike. In an upcoming blog, we’ll share a small group time activity where children can explore and make drums out of recycled materials.
Guest Author: Carissa Orr, Wayne RESA Early Childhood Consultant